Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Mano Po 6: Being Chinese Isn't All It's CRACK-ed Up to Be

Okay I just made a joke with the title. Hahaha! Try laughing guys, it helps!

Mano Po 6: A Mother's Love, stars the Megastar Sharon Cuneta with Kris Aquino as her best friend, Christopher de Leon as her husband, Zsa Zsa Padilla as her crazy-ass sister-in-law, and Heart Evangelista as her daughter.

The movie starts off with Sharon about to unveil a new tower she has named after her deceased mother. She uses Mandarin, oh no wait, she just says 'Xiexie' and then proceeds to use English, to thank those (ok I'll be honest, the movie uses a LOT of cheap looking people who don't really look like they deserve to be there) who came. She makes a speech about saying that her mother was her inspiration, and that sadly her children are not there. As an afterthought, she remembers she has one daughter there, in the form of Ciara Sotto.

I'm going to stop with the spoilers and move on to my thoughts.

Firstly, the movie had Christopher de Leon's name top billing the cast, but he was only on for about 10 minutes. On the other hand, Kris Aquino was there for the majority of the movie but only had the heading "WITH THE PARTICIPATION OF".

Second, Zsa Zsa Padilla acting like a crazy ass bitch is okay for the first 40 minutes of the film. But when she's crazy the whole time, it gets tiring. I hope she finds better roles in the future.

Third, why can't the cast learn the proper accent and enunciation of Chinese words? Everyone can learn that even for a few sessions. And if this is a movie about Chinese Filipinos, WHY do they use Mandarin for their personal conversations!? Don't majority of Chinoys speak Fookien? It also really irks me that they only use one-liners of Chinese. Then its English or Tagalog all the way. I get it, they can't speak it at all so they're trying to limit it to more known words (i.e. Piao xi is probably one of them.)

Fourth, they tried to establish Boots Anson-Roa's role as the matriarch of Sharon's family, but they really failed. I guess you can say that she did almost nothing but utter inspirational words to her daughter before she died...wait, hasn't she been the matriach of almost ALL the Mano Po movies? (ok major spoiler there, but if you're still reading this, I bet you won't even watch the movie)

Fifth, yes I am stopping at my fifth point, I would like Regal films, and Mother Lily for that matter, to stop portraying Chinoys in a stereotypical fashion. Or they should just stop the Mano Po series.

To be honest, this installment was definitely better than Mano po 5, which starred Angel Locsin and Richard "I-can't-act-to-save-my-life" Gutierrez which was just horrible. But Heart delivered as a convincing bitchy daughter. I can't say the same for Dennis Trillo because in the middle of the movie I just wanted to lend him my highest pair of heels.

Oh and on a final note, can't they think of a better plotline of how "bad" the bad guy is aside from making the rich Chinoy involved in a drug or trafficking ring? Can't they just make him the bookie for the sports bets or something else?

P.S. Mother Lily firmly believes that Mano Po 6 should've gotten the Best Picture award. Are you kidding me!? The shots were and the sound recording were so bad!

P.P.S. Sharon won Best Actress and Heart won Best Supporting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Anything on your mind? Let me know!:)