Thursday, November 18, 2010

Experincing Wee Nam Kee @ Ayala Triangle Gardens

How was my Wee Nam Kee Manila experience? Read on to find out!

My friends and I arrived at Wee Nam Kee at around 11:50am. Sure enough, there was a line outside the restaurant and we immediately signed up our names and were told that we would have to wait for around 30-45 minutes before we could get a table. We asked if we could already order, but she said we couldn't and they took no reservations.

10 minutes passed. I went back to talk with the girl manning the reception outside and she said we haven't budged in the line and still had to wait another 30 minutes. After 10 minutes more, we come back--there was already pandemonium. Apparently the girl said we were already called and we weren't around so we were bumped down the list. Several other guests were exasperatingly trying to get their name back on the list because they had the same experience as we did. Also, there was a group outside who said they had reserved for 17 people, but they girl replied that someone else had already arrived so they gave their table away! Their orders hadn't even been prepared as well.

All bad things aside, we were finally given a table but it was outside. Since we were rushing, we chose to give in. It was pretty hot because this was already around 1PM!

Anyway we took it all in stride since we were already pretty hungry and not in the mood to argue with anyone and ordered the Roasted Chicken and Steamed Chicken Personal sets, the Cereal Prawns and the Fried Squid. Each table had these condiments for the chicken:
 Chili, soy sauce and garlic

The personal sets:
 Steamed Chicken (found this to be more in quantity than the Roasted Chicken (P168)
 Hainanese rice that goes with it

 Roasted Chicken Personal Set -- I didn't find anything extraordinary with this (P168)

Our verdict was: STEADY. Nothing was extra spectacular about these two, it tasted quite ordinary. I mean I'm no food critic but it just didn't make me go, "Oohhhhh this is so good, I have to come back and eat here again!" Or maybe it was just the heat that didn't make me enjoy much, or the fact that we weren't served the soup that came with the personal sets?

 Cereal Prawns -- was surprised this still has its shell over its coating! The cereal flakes were pretty good, I couldn't stop eating it on its own. (P375 for 4 pcs)
 Honey Crispy Squid  -- tastes like what it looks like. (P230)
 Lime Juice (P50)

I haven't been to Singapore so I haven't experienced the original Wee Nam Kee. I have to say I was a bit disappointed with my experience here but well I have to give props to the price and to consider that they're still a few days into their opening. Hopefully they do something about the service because some of the staff were pretty rude (and confused).

The best Hainanese chicken for me still remains to be found in Tao Yuan Restaurant over at Malate. It is pricier but you get delicious goodness for your money. Am I coming back to eat? Probably not anytime soon.

Wee Nam Kee is found at Ayala Triangle Gardens, Makati City; Tel. No. 846-8924. Open from 10 a.m. - 9 p.m. daily.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Anything on your mind? Let me know!:)